Saturday, January 25, 2014

Blog Post #2

Mr. Dancealot

I took an education class last semester where we learned how to square dance. The instructor began by only giving notes on how to do the dance. I’ve never square danced in my life so just telling me how to do so was a no go for me. Before I could even ask if we could be shown an example, my teacher got up from her desk and took one of my classmates as a volunteer and gave us an example on how the dance should be performed. After practicing the steps and us working close together, me someone who has never performed this dance, was able to do so and teach someone else the steps. The central message in this video was that, you not only have to give out the facts of a lesson, but be also teach your class the skills to use with the facts. The instructor in this video simply gave his students the facts, and only demonstrated the skill from behind a desk where they were not able to see him. How can you teach someone anything that you are not willing to practice with them yourself? We as teachers have to understand that teaching is not just giving someone the steps, but also performing these steps with our class, and practicing these steps with our students. I cannot stand to be in a classroom with a teacher who only reads the notes they made, I would rather have a teacher whom will hold my attention and make learning this skill fun for me. The author in this scenario makes his case very clear, because at the end of the video or in this case “class” when the time came to perform for the final exam none of the students can do the dance. How can I perform an action that was only read to me not practiced? Instead the steps should have been read off and then practiced with each student. The conculison of this video in my opinion was very head on. The conclusion was that if you don’t teach the skill behind the facts of a lesson, then your class will never be able to use this skill out in the real world.

Teaching in the 21st Century
Kevin Roberts

When I was a child, the most interesting thing to do was go outside, ride a bike, play with your friends, and watch TV. Now the most interesting thing to do is get on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Now let’s be clear, I’m addicted to all three of those social sites, but should our kids be. In this video, I think Roberts is trying to teach us that the very things we shame kids for being on are the very things to help them learn. I watched this video twice, the second time around I learned more. The one thing that stuck out to me the most was the quote “Teachers are no longer the main source of knowledge, we are the filters” was something that made me think. When I first saw this quote, I thought to myself that this isn’t true. The second time around it more sense, with all this technology in the world we aren’t the only ones teaching our children, but we filter the things they learn somewhere else. Roberts is simply teaching us that children learn in so many places, they can learn and access knowledge anywhere, any place, at anytime. With sites like Google any question or any word you don’t know you can simply Google it. Roberts points this out in the very beginning of the video. We as teachers have to learn how to teach our students to use these different resources, because who doesn’t Google. When we have questions as adults about things we don’t know the answers too we simply pull out our phones, or computers and Google the question. We should be able to teach our kids the same thing, we should teach them how to research questions they don’t know the answers to on their own. Roberts teaches us that we need to rethink the tools we use on a daily basis and how could they become a helping tool in the classroom. I think that what Roberts is debating is true, with all the technology in the world today why not use it to our advantage. This again touches on teaching skills, not just facts. I think that this will affect my teaching future in many ways, I as a teacher will need to be able to teach my students how to use their devices they have at home to be creative and solve problems given to them. Not just look for the answer but research and know why that is the correct answer with the very things and websites they use on a daily basis.

The Networked Student
Wendel Drexel
In this video the question asked is, why does a student who knows how to use every resource given to him needs a teacher. The answer to this question is that his teacher is the one that, guides him in the right direction, pushes him when things don’t seem to make sense anymore, teaches him how to determine what information is useful and what information is propaganda. This answer takes me back to the quote made in Teaching in the 21st Century, “Teachers are no longer the main source of knowledge, we are the filters. The teacher of this students allows him to use his resources, gives him guidance on how to use these resources but doesn’t just flat out give him the answer. The student sees the passion in how his teacher wants him to be able to use the facts that she gave him and turn them into a skill for him to use in his future. I believe every teacher should have that same passion and effect on their students. Your students should be able to tell others that you pushed them to be the best and do their very best in the long run.

Harness Your Student’s Digital Smarts
Vicki Davis
In this video Davis’s main idea or thesis is that, if you only use one way of learning only one type of student will learn. I would have to say that I absouletly agree with her. This in my opinion high fives the statement that you cannot just teach facts, you have to teach skills to go along with those facts. This teacher has gone above and beyond the simple ways of teaching to inspire her students to come to school each day and want to learn. I think she made a very valid point when she stated that students find it more interesting when they are able to figure things out on their own and teach a teacher. She stated that most teachers feel like they need to know everything before they begin teaching, when you should be open minded and learn along with you students. Anybody who has the attitude that they know it all, won’t be able to help those students who don’t learn the same way they do. I’ve learned along the way that not all people learn alike, while some of us need notes, there is always that one student who can remember by simply listening. If we don’t learn the same as our peers why should we teach our students all the same. Davis allows her students to research what they don’t know on their own, she says she shouldn’t have to tell them everything, she wants them to be able to use the resources available to them and determine the correct answer all on their own.

Flipping the Classroom
Flipping the classroom was new to me, I had never heard of it. After learning exactly what it was and how it works, I am a little stuck in the middle. In one way I think this idea has been around sending home instructions with a student and having a parent go over it with their child and the child then coming back with questions to ask has been going on for years. Even the students who don’t have computers at home but, are able to use the computers in the classroom does that not defeat the entire purpose of it not being flipped. The statement that its less boring and more fun to watch your teacher at home instead of in the classroom to me isn’t true, there are more distractions at home then there is at school, but that’s just my opinion. In other ways I can completely see how this will work, students will be allowed to use different resources to answer their own questions before they come to class. Even if the students still don’t understand then they will have time to ask the questions and properly use the resources in the classroom along with their teacher to help determine the correct answer to their question. To some students it may be exciting to see their teacher in a video and use their devices at home to see and do their class work. So you see where I’m stuck, I don’t think as a future teacher I would use this idea in my classroom, but I don’t see why someone else’s would it may just in fact work for them.
www.blissfulroots.com

1 comment:

  1. Good, but I can tell that you didn't proofread before publishing this. Always, always proofread your blog posts before publishing them! Also, you forgot to add working links to your videos, as well as alt/title modifiers to your picture!

    ReplyDelete