Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Blog Post #3

Peer Editing
After viewing all the information that was given in the instructions. I made some notes on what to look for while reading my group members blog's. I enjoyed reading everybody's different ideas on the last blog, I enjoyed reading what fears and questions they had about EDM 310, but most of all I enjoyed reading the post they made about themselves, and how great teachers they want to become. My one of my group members in particular had a few errors, nothing that reading over their blog wouldn't fix. I believe that each of them had clarity in their blogs, I understood the point they were trying to get across. I do not think I would share with my group members publicly their mistakes, just because in my opinion I cannot stand someone who calls people out for their grammar. I've never known a teacher who publicly announce a grammar problem with a student out loud. for the most part if you write a paper your teacher makes comments on what they believed to be wrong on your paper, privately and not for everyone to see or hear. If I had to use our rubric our group made to grade my group members, they all would receive good, because we all are not perfect and some mistakes were made.

PeerEditing

What Have I Learned
This wasn't the first time, I've heard of peer reviews or editing. This is not the first time I have had to comment on a peer's post. Although this isn't a first for me, taking my time and actually thinking about what to review and how to properly do so is. After reviewing the information given to me in the instructions, I have learned that in order to help someone become better at whatever it is they are striving to do, some positive criticism is the correct way to go. I learned the rules in how to properly editing a peers post, paper or work. I know now that there are 3 rules to doing so, 1.) Give compliments on your peers work, state what you liked, what you thought was interesting, and even how you related to it. 2.) Suggestions on how they could word a sentence better so that the consistency of their post continues on. 3.) Correction, although nobody likes for their work to be corrected, we all make mistakes and who better to help you then someone your age, possibly making the same mistakes as you.
I really enjoyed the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes I loved the examples they gave. I too have been a Whatever Warren, and a off-task Oliver. The students in this presentation touched on all the things not to do when peer reviewing. The students taught us how to approach different situations when editing. We all have had to work with someone that we didn't want to work with. Sometimes we all can be rude and think we know it all when it comes to grammar, especially those of us going into the education field. I like the examples the power point gave about how to tell a peer to correct a sentence. I can understand how Paige felt after reading someones post, you don't want to put yourself in that position of correcting someone and you don't know how that person will take it, or if they will be offended by it. I feel like now I have a better understanding on how to edit and review my peers post, I know that if I word my opinion in the correct way then it will only be received as help. I still don't think I would be able to publicly let someone know that they have grammatical errors, I think I would do better informing them privately through email. Nobody wants to be a negative Nancy, or to be known as the person who is always correcting someone on their grammar. I know people like that personally and hate to be around them.

Feedback

2 comments:

  1. Being positive is the key to peer editing. In the video, "Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes", I would have to say that I could relate to a couple of the kids in the video too. This video really taught me how you should correctly peer edit someone's work the polite and positive way. Like you said no one is perfect so we all have to consider that everyone makes mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job adding alt/title modifiers to your two pictures! However, you forgot to include links to all three of your sources. It's important to provide links to what you read/watched so your readers have the opportunity to see them, too. I also suggest reviewing comma-placement rules, run-on sentences, and incomplete sentences. Always be sure to proof read!

    ReplyDelete