Thursday, January 16, 2014

Practice Post

I was born on August 12,1987. My name is Alexis McSwain, I am the second oldest of 5, yes 5 girls. My parents are Stanley and Cynthia McSwain. My sisters are Ashleigh, Ariel, Alisha, and Adrienne, if you think because all of our names start with an A is confusing, just wait till you see us and figure out we all look alike. I have lived in Mobile, AL all my life, I absolutely love my city and I feel like it has so much to offer. When I first began thinking about college teaching wasn't my major, I think I was afraid to go after my dream.

After I graduated from school I attended Remington College to get my certificate in Medical Assisting. I finished school and went to work in a office for a week and figured out that this wasn't where I wanted or needed to be. I decided that it was time to put all those summers of playing school in my backyard to use. The day I started at South was one of the proudest days for me I felt like I was finally making progress on my life long dream. I picked the University of South Alabama because I didn't want to leave home and because my sister Ariel was already enrolled there. My passion for teaching has grown so much over the years, I want to be that teacher whose students want to come to school because learning is fun. I believe in teaching skills not just facts, because even though you know all these facts what are they of good use if you don't have a skill behind them.

People say to me all the time, "a teacher doesn't get paid a lot," to me it isn't about the money, it's about the effect I have on my students. I struggled in school, I know how it is to have a teacher who pushes you because they see and know the potential you have. I was blessed enough to have 4 very great teachers who did just that. My parents, who believed and supported me no matter what career path I chose, my 3rd grade teacher who is the reason I want to teach the 3rd grade, she made learning and school so much fun for me, my 7th grade language teacher who made me realize that English is my favorite subject and pushed me to write to the best of my ability, she also believed in me when I doubted myself, and my high school math teacher who with her helped I passed the math part of the graduation exam. Without these people in my life my passion for teaching would probably still just be a dream.

Teacher quote

5 comments:

  1. You did not do Blog Post #1. That is not a good way to start this class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't read my checklist thourghly, I thought this was the blog post #1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings Alexis,
    My name is Mark Nelson. Well, actually Mark is my middle name, since I am the fifth generation William Nelson in my family most people know me as Mark. I am from a small rural community in North Alabama and have recently moved to Mobile. This is my second semester at South Alabama. I see you are a lifelong resident of Mobile and I would greatly appreciate any tips you may have about things to see or do in the area.

    Alexis, I wholeheartedly agree with your comment that teaching, “isn't about the money, it's about the effect I have on my students.” I have worked in a field where I made good money but as the years went by I found the work became more and more meaningless and the money less and less attractive. Also, like you, I too had difficulty in grade school but had a couple of good teachers who helped me through school. Hopefully each of us can become that teacher in a student’s life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alexis,
    You may need to check your time zone setting because I posted the above at 9.35 AM but it is stamped as 7:35 AM.

    ReplyDelete