Sunday, February 16, 2014

Blog Post #5

In the video's Project Based Learning Part 1 & 2, I learned quite a lot. I loved the project in the first video about writing to the city councilman about women serving in open combat. I liked that he made the kids look for women that they knew nothing about. This drove home his comment about project based learning being the key to helping the kids learn more, and helping the teacher know that what was taught, was comprehended. The comment Anthony Capps made in the second video about never limiting your students to what they research. I agree with him completely, no teacher should ever stop a child from learning. In the process of children learning we as teacher learn more. His point about involving the community to allow them to see that this way of learning is meaningful and helpful to the students stood out to me as well. When the community sees that kids are learning and that this way of teaching is helping the students be successful, it allows the community to get involved and this also pushes students more. I know as a child I loved when we had open house and I got to show all my family and my community what I learned and what I created. The passion and the drive Anthony has when he talks about his students and the projects is amazing. I want to one day be that teacher that my students can't wait to come to class and learn. I love that after every lesson, even if he just gives a worksheet his students know that its important and its a reason behind it. He is truly motivating, this makes me want to hurry and finish school so I too can see the passion and the light in students eyes when they learn something new.
I enjoyed the video The Anthony-Strange Tips for Teachers Part 1, mainly because all the tips made were great points. I think the first one, "being open to learning" is the most important one. How can I as a educator expect my students to be excited and willing to learn something everyday when I myself am not open to someone teaching me something. Anthony made the statement that teaching is hard, but its something that is constant. Even when your off work, your constantly trying to find a better way to teach, or talking about your job. I find that very easy to believe, I have the pleasure of sitting in a 3rd grade class and observing the teacher and the students, the first thing I do when I leave the class is call my mother to tell her what I observed and how I am going to use that idea or improve that idea in my classroom.
Teacher Quote

2 comments:

  1. Great post.You made some valid points that are very important. Such as involving the community in the classroom. That part seems to be left out the most. When we become teachers, we are going to be learning and trying new ideas out constantly.I like how you are so passionate about becoming an educator and shared your experiences. Do not forget to put links on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your passion for teaching, it really shows in this post.

    Come by the lab when you get a chance and one of the assistants can help you with your links. It seems to be a constant error. It may be something to do with your layout. We'll be more than willing to help you fix it.

    ReplyDelete