Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post #6

This week's blog post is all about setting up your PLN (personal learning network). When I first starting reading exactly what PLN meant, my first impression was that it was like a list of people that you personally knew that could help you get what you needed in your career. After reading and watching the first video A "7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment" I learned that a PLN is a website used to help keep your sources in order. The site used in the video Symbaloo, looks like the home icon's on an Ipad or tablet. The 7th grader in the video taught me how to use this site. She showed us all the different apps she used to contribute to her learning process in the science class.
When I first created my profile for Symbaloo it was a tad bit confusing. After playing around with you I kind of got the hang of it. I like the overall look of it. Some of the tabs I deleted, like the booking websites and some of the social sites. For the most part I kept the majority of the tabs that came with the sign up. I used the 7th grader's idea and put most of my school resources on the bottom. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. One of the apps I've played with the most is the Symbaloo education app. It allows you to share the best of the internet with you students. It has a place for science, chemistry, and writing. Once you click on the subject you want, it takes you to a list of topics to choose from. I chose biology, and then my plantID, it took me to a website where I could make my own site for my students to keep up with the class plant or different projects that involved the plant.
The more and more I played around with Symbaloo, the more I fell in love with it. I think every teacher should know about this site. I believe I will be using this more often. I think it will become very helpful in the future when using it in the classroom.
Symbaloo

2 comments:

  1. "I learned that a PLN is a website used to help keep your sources in order." You were closer to understanding what a PLN is in your previous sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is filled with great detail. I'm glad you found the website useful. Remember to add links so your readers can have access to the different sites you experience. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete