Saturday, March 29, 2014

Blog Post #10

This week Dr. Strange asked us to view a video of Sir Ken Robinson Bring on the Education Revolution. I know I have said before that video's before were my favorite, but to be honest this video has to be my favorite video. This is a video that every educator not just future but, every educator should view. Sir Ken Robinson made some very valid points. I like that he said we don't need to reform our schools but that we need a revolution, because reforming our schools is only improving a broken model. That point is a excellent one because why would you improve something that's broken instead you should fix it or begin on a new model. The definition of revolution is a forcible overthrow of a government or social order in favor of a new system. This simply means that we need to start over with our school systems and come up with something new to help our kids grasp and understand the lesson and concepts in which we are trying to teach. Instead of being stuck in our old ways of thinking we should branch out and try new things. When Robinson quoted Abraham Lincoln his quote stuck out to me, I like that he paid close attention to the part about rising with the occasion not to the occasion, instead of waiting for a special event to happen to rise to but rise with an occasion no matter the event. Getting to the end of this video almost made me want to cry, the end of the video is where I learned the most. I learned that no matter a child's dream you should never tell them that their dream is not achievable. As adults not just educators we should tread softly on the things they want to become. No child should be told that what they want to be is stupid and its impossible. I have been told that I shouldn't go after my dream of being a educator because the money isn't worth it. When you have a dream and your passionate about it no amount of money will suffice the love you have for it.

W.B Yates Quote

3 comments:

  1. Alexis,
    Great post!! I understand why this is your favorite video, because it was great! He really opened my eyes to how standardized our education system is. I hope that our generation of teachers are the ones who change it to where it is customized to our students and technology!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis, I agree that we need to start over with the school system. In my opinion, we need to personalize education so that our students will be able to learn the way they know how and will gain greatly from. Someone also tried to persuade me to do something else besides teaching because of the money, so I know how it feel. Just hold on, because we might be the educators that will bring on an education revolution. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis, very good point! You should always help a child strive to follow their dreams. If a child is passionate about a certain dream, we as teachers should be their main supporters! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete